I am a Research Fellow in the Department of Epidemiology and Applied Clinical Research under the Division of Psychiatry at University College London. My current research involves the analysis of electronic health records to explore health outcomes in people who use mental health services. This work also involves developing linkages with other data sources and the application of natural language processing techniques to clinical free text.
My doctoral research was conducted under the supervision of Professor Carol Brayne and Dr. Andres Roman-Urrestarazu at the University of Cambridge. My dissertation sought to elucidate the socioeconomic epidemiology of substance use disorders through the analysis of administrative and routinely collected data.
- PhD in Public Health and Primary Care, Wolfson College, University of Cambridge (2015-19)
- MSPH in Health Policy, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University (2013-15)
- BSc in Biology, Faculty of Science, University of British Columbia (2007-12)
- BA in English, Faculty of Arts, University of British Columbia (2007-12)
Yang JC, Roman-Urrestarazu, and Brayne C. "Differences in Receipt of Opioid Agonist Treatment and Time to Enter Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Among Specialty Addiction Programs in the United States, 2014-17." PLoS One 14(12), 2019.
Yang JC, Roman-Urrestarazu A, McKee M, and Brayne C. "Demographic, socioeconomic, and health correlates of unmet need for mental health treatment in the United States, 2002–16: evidence from the national surveys on drug use and health." IJEH 18(122), 2019.
Rosner B, Neicun J, Yang JC, and Roman-Urrestarazu A. "Opioid prescription patterns in Germany and the global opioid epidemic: Systematic review of available evidence." PLoS One 14(8), 2019.
Neicun J, Steenhuizen M, van Kessel R, Yang JC, Negri A, Czabanowska K, Corazza O, and Roman-Urrestarazu A. "Mapping novel psychoactive substances policy in the EU: The case of Portugal, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, Poland, the United Kingdom and Sweden." PLoS One 14(6), 2019.
Roman-Urrestarazu A, Yang JC, Robertson R, McCallum A, Gray C, McKee M, and Middleton J. "Brexit threatens the UK’s ability to tackle illicit drugs and organised crime: What needs to happen now?." Health Policy 123(6), 2019.
Prilutskaya M, Yang JC, Roman-Urrestarazu A. "Synthetic Cannabinoids, Opioids, and Polydrug Use: Clinical Implications." in Handbook of Novel Psychoactive Substances: What Clinicians Should Know About NPS (Eds. Corazza O, and Roman-Urrestarazu A.), 2019.
Roman-Urrestarazu A, Robertson R, Yang JC, McCallum A, Gray C, McKee M, and Middleton J. "European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction has a vital role in the UK’s ability to respond to illicit drugs and organised crime." BMJ 362, 2018.
Roman-Urrestarazu A, Yang JC, Ettelt S, Thalmann I, Seguel Ravest V, and Brayne C. "Private health insurance in Germany and Chile: two stories of co-existence, segmentation and conflict." IJEH 17(112), 2018.
Yang JC, Roman-Urrestarazu A, and Brayne C. "Binge alcohol and substance use across birth cohorts and the global financial crisis in the United States." PLoS One 13(6), 2018.
Yang JC, and Roman-Urrestarazu A. "Self-reported use of novel psychoactive substances in the United States from 2007-14: trends in prevalence and user characteristics from the national surveys on drug use and health." Fifth international conference on novel psychoactive substances. 2017.
Peer Review Activities
- International Journal for Equity in Health
- Health and Quality of Life Outcomes
- Journal of Psychopharmacology
- Certified in Public Health (CPH) Examination Item Writer, National Board of Public Health Examiners (2020-Present)
- Executive Officer, Wolfson College Student Assembly (2015-17)
- Committee Chair, American Public Health Association - Student Assembly (2012-14)
- Student Senator, Senate of UBC Vancouver (2010-12)
- Student Representative, UBC Faculty of Science Killam Teaching Award Committee (2009-11)
6th Floor, Maple House
149 Tottenham Court Road
London W1T 7NF